SMOKING TOBACCO IN PUBLIC PLACES MUST BE BANNED.
1. China produces 36.3% of the total world tobacco production.
2. Every ten (10) seconds, another person dies as a result off tobacco use.
3. Tobacco products are estimated to have caused three million deaths worldwide in the early 1990’s
4. Death toll is increasing and if not addressed , by the year 2020, the number of tobacco related deaths would be as high as ten (10) million deaths per year, with over 70% of this number occurring in developing countries
5. 50% of regular smokers who begin smoking during adolescence will eventually be killed by tobacco.
6. Every cigarette smoked, takes seven (7) minutes off ones life.
7. Smoking is responsible for 90% of lung cancers, 75% of chronic bronchitis and emphysema and 25% of heart diseases
8. In Ghana, about 4200 hectares of land, forming .06% of agricultural land is dedicated to tobacco production.
9. 2500 metric tonnes of tobacco is produced annually in Ghana
10. The tobacco industry employs about 1,121 people in Ghana
11. 35million cigarettes are imported annually none exported.
12. Average cigarette consumption per person is 161 in Ghana
13. 16% of adults and 16.8% of the youth smoke in Ghana
14. Tobacco companies in Ghana pay huge taxes which serves as a source of income for the country.
With the above facts , Ghana stand to lose a lot if tobacco is officially legalised in Ghana.
SAY NO TO PUBLIC SMOKING OF TOBACCO
Emmanuel Amarh Ashitey
Free to share